Terms of Service
1.0: Greetings, the good people of the world! This Terms of Service applies to your access to and active use of <www.lemmy.world> ("we,""us," "our," "the website," "Lemmy.World," or "LW").
- 1.0.0: Lemmy.World is intended to host and power online communities from all over the world, and to be a place reliable for your casual entertainment. As sweet as this is, it doesn’t keep us from having the need to set basic rules.
- 1.0.1: Read our Terms of Service carefully before using this website (“the website"). These Terms of Service ("the Terms of Service" or “the document”) govern your access to and use of the website. The website is available for your use only on the condition that you agree to the Terms of Service set forth above and below. If you do not agree with all of the Terms of Service, then do not access or use Lemmy.World. By accessing or using the website, you and the entity you are authorized to represent (“user” "you" or "your") signify your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Service.
1.1: Learn more about Lemmy.World HERE.
Updates to the Terms of Service
2.0: In order to reflect and respect developments on applicable law and on the website itself, this document will be updated periodically.
Regarding This Document
3.0: The Terms of Service provided by us, together with any additional documents and/or terms they actively adopt through referencing, collectively constitute the legal document this page serves to provide, and is entered into by and between Lemmy.World and all its users (you).
3.1: This document contains essential knowledge regarding your rights and obligations, as well as conditions, limitations and exclusions that apply to your use of and access to Lemmy.World.
3.2: Lemmy.World is a content-aggregation social platform operated by our volunteer team, which runs an instance of the Lemmy software. Learn more about Lemmy HERE.
4.0: By agreeing to this section of the document, you accept that:
- 4.0.0: You may only use Lemmy.World if you can clearly understand and actively comply with the terms laid out on this page.
- 4.0.1: You were not permanently banished from the website in the past.
- 4.0.2: You are at least 18 years of age and over the regulated minimum age defined by your local law to access Lemmy.World.
- 4.0.3: You are responsible for your own experience on the website. While we are looking to provide an entertaining platform, we are not responsible for your individual experience.
- 4.0.4: The reporting function may not be used without good reason. Only report content that violates the rules defined in the Terms of Service, or content that violates the rules of the community it was posted to. Personal messages may be reported if they violate any of the terms defined in this document. User profiles may be reported by sending an e-mail to [email protected].
4.1: No one under 18 years of age is allowed to use or access the website. There may be designated sections of the website that may require you to be older to use them, so please read all notices and any additional terms carefully when you access Lemmy.World.
5.0: Lemmy.World consists of a large number of communities from all around the world, leading our federated network.
- 5.0.1: Before using the website, remember you will be interacting with actual, real people and communities. Lemmy.World is not a place for you to attack other groups of people. Every one of our users has a right to browse and interact with the website and all of its contents free of treatment such as harassment, discrimination, transphobia, and racism of any kind, and bullying, violation of privacy or threats of violence.
- 5.0.2: Always be respectful of the privacy of others who access and use the website. Never harass or threaten to harass people by revealing personal information or any type of media. Sharing sensitive information or media belonging to or depicting a person or entity (other than yourself) is only allowed on the condition that you have their explicit consent, or that it is publicly available information or media served in compliance with our content policy.
- 5.0.3: You may not engage in any activities that may interfere with the normal use of or access to Lemmy.World.
- 5.0.4: Do not post illegal content of any type. Do not engage in any activity that may encourage, facilitate or provide access to illegal transactions. Do not share or encourage the sharing of abusive or sexually suggestive content involving minors. Any violent or otherwise inappropriate behavior involving a minor will also always be strictly prohibited.
- 5.0.5: Your participation in individual communities will only be acceptable on the condition that you abide by their rules. Always post compliant content that upholds the rules of the individual community and the website, and is of personal interest to you. Do not engage in content manipulation such as posting spam content, vote manipulation through using several user accounts or consistently down-voting a user. Vote for the content, not for the person.
- 5.0.6: No visual content depicting executions, murder, suicide, dismemberment, visible innards, excessive gore, or charred bodies. No content depicting, promoting or enabling animal abuse. No erotic or otherwise suggestive media or text content featuring depictions of rape, sexual assault, or non-consensual violence. All other violent content requires a NSFW tag. Depictons, imagery or otherwise ancient artwork in any form, other publicly available media entertainment content depicting gore or sexual content may be excluded and allowed, as long as they are fair use, in public domain, or tolerated by the copyright owner, and in compliance with our Content Policy, as well as all applicable laws and their local laws.
5.1: The content provided on Lemmy.World is not necessarily factually true, and hosting it does not mean agreeing, supporting or encouraging it. We only require all content fully comply with the Terms of Service and any other documents that are mentioned and linked to in this document.
6.0: You are solely and entirely responsible for your use of the website and your computer, internet, and data security.
6.1: You waive Lemmy.World and its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and all their respective staff, representatives, service providers, contractors, licensors, licensees, and successors from any claims resulting from any action taken by Lemmy.World, and any of the foregoing parties relating to any investigations by either us or by law enforcement authorities.
6.2: In the case of a violation of the Terms of Service, here is what may happen:
- 6.2.0: Removal of the violating content, and asking you to not repeat it again.
- 6.2.1: Being warned for the second time, and having your account temporarily suspended.
- 6.2.2: Adding temporary or permanent limitations to Lemmy.World communities, such as applying NSFW tags or restricting the posting of new content by users.
- 6.2.3: Removal of all content associated with the violating party.
- 6.2.4: Banishing of communities.
- 6.2.5: Permanent banishing of user accounts.
Our Governing Laws
7.0: The website and the agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and the Republic of Finland Suomen.
8.0: In the case of having to face an event not covered by the Terms of Service, the full body of this document will still keep its validity and use. In this event, the laws applicable to us, which were mentioned in Section 7, will be used as a primary guide in content moderation.
8.1: Should any section of the Terms of Service be held invalid or unenforceable, that section shall be construed consistent with applicable law and all of the remaining sections shall remain in full force and effect.
8.4: The Fair Use Policy of Lemmy.World may be found at "https://legal.lemmy.world/fair_use/".
Contact Information & Report Harmful Content
9.0: All questions, issues, concerns and requests regarding Lemmy.World and the Terms of Service may be sent to [email protected].